From: "Kristina Wilcox" [kristina_wilcox@hotmail.com]
To: mannlist@lists.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: (High Fidelity, secondspin.com) Re: ColumbiaHouse - Killer soundtracks
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:20:20 PDT

]    3. High Fidelity
]Starring: John Cusack, Tim Robbins
]Go underground with these cult musical nuggets -- everyone from '60s
] ]greats the Velvet Underground and the 13th Floor Elevators to today's
] ]indie faves Stereolab, Smog and Royal Trux. A must for fans of rock's
] ]unsung heroes!

Cool, the "Magnolia" soundtrack was #1. Is there any significance? :-)

Anyway, I just picked up the "High Fidelity" soundtrack on secondspin.com
for $4+etc. If you find other titles, this soundtrack is totally worth the
dinero. (s/h on one item is like $4, and .25 for every after, and then CO
tax) I got a couple other soundtracks during my shopping spree, and "Return
of the Grievous Angel." As for my secondspin.com experience, I totally
recommend the place! :-)

~~ Kristina ~~
Central Coast Mannlister
& "music snob"
whose happy to have another place to shop for used CDs

------------------------------
From: "Simon Lomax" [simonlomax@talk21.com]
To: [mannlist@lists.cc.utexas.edu]
Subject: ultimate collection
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 20:29:05 +0100

Can anyone tell me whats on this CD =
http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=3D60433499&loc=3D109

Simon

------------------------------
From: "Lauren Phillips" [ldphill@earthlink.net]
To: [mannlist@lists.cc.utexas.edu]
Subject: Amazon UC review
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:39:57 -0500

Amazon just posted this staff review to the Ultimate Collection page:

    More ironic footnote than ultimate collection, this anthology is a =
bittersweet reprise of Aimee Mann's troubled major-label career. Take a =
few 'Til Tuesday tracks (including their 1980s hit, "Voices Carry"), =
most of her I'm With Stupid album, some tracks from Whatever, and a =
whole bunch of B-sides, and you've got--what? Let's call it the =
penultimate collection, since the songs from Mann's dumped Mann and made =
her buy her album back). This collection does boast a lovely cover of =
Badfinger's "Baby Blue," while Mann originals like "That's Just What You =
Are," "Amateur," and "Long Shot" (all from I'm With Stupid) still sound =
great. But without "Save Me" or Mann's other more recent triumphs (or, =
come to think of it, anything from her first band's Bark Along with the =
Young Snakes), Utimate Collection doesn't begin to tell the story of =
this talented pop survivor. --Bill Forman=20

Lauren

"When you first discover a song you love, it's an almost indescribable =
feeling. You become ageless and timeless and start to understand life in =
these grand, wonderful ways." -- Cameron Crowe

------------------------------
From: "Talia Heart" [dratheart@hotmail.com]
To: mannlist@lists.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: I have a stupid question
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:46:05 CDT

Hi mannlist, Im out of lurking mode for a moment because I have a stupid (?)
question.

With all these airfare deals, I want to take a vacation, and how better to
do that than to go to an Aimee Mann concert?  I logged on to her website and
see the tour dates, but no info on how to order tickets or pricing.

How do I order tickets?

I was looking at perhaps Chicago or Columbus.

Thanks so much!

-Talia

PS - I turn 21 this Friday :)  Thanks for many happy years listening to you
Aimee! :)

------------------------------
From: "Aidan Martin" [aidanjm@nex.net.au]
To: "Aimee Mann list" [mannlist@lists.cc.utexas.edu]
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:19:33 +1000

Forgive my ignorance, but what are "Red Vines"? I'm having a bit of =
trouble working out what Aimee's song of the same name is all about.

Also, is Aimee's song "Ghost World" based on the comic by Daniel Clowse?

Aidan.

------------------------------
From: Erikarn1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:32:20 EDT
Subject: RE:  RED VINES
To: mannlist@lists.cc.utexas.edu (Aimee Mann list)

Red Vines are a "Classic" licorice brand that has been around forever.  So
the song is making reference to having cigarretes and red vines (the licorce).

------------------------------
From: AWeiss4338@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 20:01:50 EDT
Subject: Spin Letter
To: mannlist@lists.cc.utexas.edu

Jill had told me this, I didn't want to mention this until it was published,
and then forgot about it.
It's actually last months issue, so don't waste your time finding it, I'll
just print the letter I got published in that issue here.  It's about that
bigot Eminem gracing the cover of Spin a few months ago.
'I can't believe that a magazine that constantly pats itself on the back for
being PC would put a bigot on the cover.'
I wish there was one major rock critic, and Spin has some, would say
something like 'I don't care how talented Eminem is musically, he's a bigot,
and his lyrics render any serious prase of his talent null and void.'  And
that's why I wrote the letter.  I'm glad it was printed.
Oh yeah, I haven't seen this yet, but on Spin.com, and mentioned in the
latest issue, is an interview with Aimee and Michael after an AV show in I
believe LA on their site.
Andrea

------------------------------
From: Kenableken@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 20:19:31 EDT
To: Erikarn1@aol.com, mannlist@lists.cc.utexas.edu

And yes, 'Ghost World' is based on Dan Clowes's book.

------------------------------
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:43:39 -0700
From: "Robert G. Snyder" [bob.snyder@home.com]
To: mannlist@lists.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: ultimate collection

] Simon Lomax wrote:
]
] Can anyone tell me whats on this CD
] http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=60433499&loc=109
]
] Simon

1  That's Just What You Are
2  You Could Make A Killing
3  You're With Stupid Now
4  Wise Up
5  Driving With One Hand On The Wheel
6  Long Shot
7  Choice In The Matter
8  Voices Carry - Til Tuesday
9  Take It Back
10 Say Anything
11 Jacob Marley's Chain
12 Amateur
13 All Over Now
14 Baby Blue
15 Everything's Different Now - Til Tuesday
16 Sign Of Love - Til Tuesday
17 Other End (Of The Telescope), The - (live)
18 Jimmy Hoffa Jokes
19 Stupid Thing
20 I Should've Known

Bob S.

------------------------------
From: AWeiss4338@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 02:55:26 EDT
Subject: Chart Update
To: mannlist@lists.cc.utexas.edu

Amazon-B#2 #30, Magnolia #31
B&N-UC #68
CDnow-Magnolia #52
Borders-B#2 #42
Gavin has nothing, couldn't get the Bilboard fiugre this week.
Andrea

------------------------------
From: "Paul Barras" [sonichawk2@hotmail.com]
To: mannlist@lists.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: Infinitely Informative!!
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 01:45:53 AKDT

Well, I have some catching up to do.  Andrea, thanks for the chart
positions.  Salt, I just read the interview and scoured the site! I am
coming over with a sleeping bag...SOON!! I refuse to leave until I have
heard all the hidden Til Tuesday songs!  I agree with Robert Holmes about
that passionate part, John!  You ARE an artist! Why can't our spouses {and
judges [g]} understand that this passion for Aimee is a good thing?!!

Sharon, I am coming over to your place with a sleeping bag, and I refuse to
leave until...well, I refuse to leave!! [grin]

Neil Finn played before 70,000 people (along with Leonardo's Bride) in
Sydney during some Olympic festivities. [Goosebumps] I am thinking the
Academy Awards should be conducted like the Olympics. Phil's gotta be *on*
something and blood tests would prove it (he couldn't be writing that stuff
sober!!). Disqualified!

Speaking of Olympics and carrying torches...

Russ, if I ever make it to Aimee's and see photos of you at Chirstmas dinner
with Aimee's folk dishing you up yams with a huge smile on your face, we are
going into the alley, buster!!  I just want the list to I  know I never
trusted Russ!! [grin]

Disciple is a good one, but I prefer *Royal subject*.  Of course,
*defendant* and "plaintiff/petitioner* might be closer to our roles.;-)

End of MANNLIST Digest 927