From: owner-ammf-digest@smoe.org (alt.music.moxy-fruvous digest) To: ammf-digest@smoe.org Subject: alt.music.moxy-fruvous digest V1 #975 Reply-To: ammf@fruvous.com Sender: owner-ammf-digest@smoe.org Errors-To: owner-ammf-digest@smoe.org Precedence: bulk alt.music.moxy-fruvous digest Friday, November 6 1998 Volume 01 : Number 975 Today's Subjects: ----------------- Re: New fan here, too!! [dalevy@aol.com (DALevy)] RE: New fan here, too!! ["Nowik, George" ] RE: New fan here, too!! [dogponysho@aol.com (DogPonySho)] Re: Irving Plaza [mjgreenb@aol.com (Mjgreenb)] Re: Bottom Line hope ["Jason A. Reiser" ] Re: New fan here, too!! [sirilyan@my-dejanews.com] Re: Review of sorts... (long and strange) [vika@ibm.net (Vika Zafrin)] Re: New fan here, too!! (Dougs) [drea1@my-dejanews.com] ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 6 Nov 1998 23:32:39 GMT From: dalevy@aol.com (DALevy) Subject: Re: New fan here, too!! Welcome Doug... Glad you're in the fold. But I'm worried now that we have more Dougs that Chads in out midst. Maybe someone will have a good suggestion on how to differentiate each of us. Cheers, Doug Levy San Francisco >
I just heard "B" and "Bargainville" this past week, and I'm WAY

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 23:47:08 GMT
From: "Nowik, George"
Subject: RE: New fan here, too!!

> ----------
> From: 	dogponysho@aol.com[SMTP:dogponysho@aol.com]
> Subject: 	New fan here, too!!
>
> I just heard "B" and "Bargainville" this past week, and I'm WAY crazt
> nutso
> into Moxy!!!! What an amazing group...you all have excellent taste!!!

another doug!  hoho!  this is going to make things even more confusing!

welcome to the collective, doug.  we actually taste quite normal but you
garnish with just the right spices, we cook up pretty good.

glad you like the B and Bargainville albums.  of course, nothing like
seeing them live in concert.  in actuality, there is very little
anywhere regarding anything that i can think of that compares to seeing
them in a live situation.  whereabouts do you live?  maybe you live near
a show that's about to happen right down your street...

cheers,

 -= norg =-

------------------------------

Date: 7 Nov 1998 00:47:58 GMT
From: dogponysho@aol.com (DogPonySho)

I be living in lovely Southern California, where knowing my luck I've probably
just missed a Moxy show or three!! Heard the recent San Francisco show was
amazing!

Date: 7 Nov 1998 01:26:46 GMT
From: mjgreenb@aol.com (Mjgreenb)
Subject: Re: Irving Plaza

Will be there bright eyed and bushy tailed :)

Mike

------------------------------

Date: 6 Nov 1998 16:40:18 -0800
From: "Jason A. Reiser"
Subject: Re: Bottom Line hope

In article <19981106165708.10514.00004684@ng118.aol.com>, bbwminors@aol.com
says...

>Not sure if this means anything but when I called the Bottom Line yesterday,
>they told me that tickets would go on sale next week and that though they have
>a 21+ policy, sometimes the owner will make exceptions for certain shows and
>that I could call next week and find out about this one ... my thinking is that
>while I doubt they would do it for New Year's Eve, if they received enough
>requests (really nice requests), they might make the New Year's night show (or
>even the 2nd) one of those exceptions to the rule ...
>
>Lisa

It's certainly possible.  When Dan Bern plays the Bottom Line they usually
make the early show all ages, and the late show is 21+.

Yes... that means that there are *six* shows over three days.  The early
show is usually at 7:30 and the late at 10:30.

Anyone else planning to break open the piggy bank?

- - Jason
jreiser@ecoutez.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 02:23:01 GMT
From: sirilyan@my-dejanews.com

In article <19981106183239.02356.00000334@ng85.aol.com>,
  dalevy@aol.com (DALevy) wrote:
> Welcome Doug...
> Glad you're in the fold.
> But I'm worried now that we have more Dougs that Chads in out midst.

Worried?  Why should we be worried?  Now we have them outnumbered.

> Maybe someone will have a good suggestion on how to differentiate each of us.

Nobody had good suggestions at the Iron Horse, so why should we expect them to
have any here? ;-)

- -D.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 02:13:28 GMT
From: vika@ibm.net (Vika Zafrin)
Subject: Re: Review of sorts... (long and strange)

I have no idea why I'm posting something so personal - perhaps, Dante,
you hit it home for me, like The Drinking Song does for you...

"Aye, who's asking whom?"  delighted us with:

>   I must admit, however, that I still don't like the arm-in-arm swaying
>trend that goes with the Drinking Song.

>   okay, real story. I had friend that, after years of being much more
>stable than I was ("he was a rock"), fell prey to crack.

For me, The Drinking Song is also about something very personal.  And
about smoking - funny, that.

The first time I heard it, I could not get my father's image out of my
head.  My father has lung cancer.  It is VERY cigarette-related:  my
dad had smoked since he was a kid, and even after a heart operation
(when the doctors told him: you smoke again, you die, simple as that
- -- he quit cold turkey for eight months and then started up again... a
year later, the diagnosis was made).  For me, every time the song is
sung is excruciating - and beautiful.  It is a time when I allow
myself to lean on my friends for support, and a time when I allow
myself to cry.  This is what makes this a community for me; there are
people in this community that, among other wonderful things they've
done for me (I'll be SO lucky if I can ever repay you, and you know
who you are), have helped me come to terms with watching my father die
slowly, with never knowing whether a trip I make out to California to
see my parents will be the last time I see him, with living in limbo.
This is the community that has helped me move on, and not sink into
the depression that he has been known to sink into every time
chemotherapy makes him unable to work for a while.

It's not just the Fruhead community, though.  It's the song, and the
way it is performed.  Always beautiful, always with a glimmer of hope
somewhere in there, always heart-wrenching.  It is something I share
with people, and a way for me to deal with my reality, an outlet.

>I hate
>thinking about anyone smiling during the song even though it's what your'e
>supposed to do.

I am not sure if one is ever *supposed* to do anything during the
song.  All I know is that, when I've made eye contact with people
during that song, people that I know have a story of their own behind
the lyrics and that feel intense emotions (of whatever kind) during
it, we've sometimes half-smiled at each other, hugged maybe, if we
happened to be standing next to each other, acknowledging each other
and recognizing that we're not alone in this.  This is what I treasure
in my friends here.

>When drunk people chant for the song (and, when I'm lucky,
>the band votes them down like they did at Styleen's this summer), I wonder
>if they ever had a rough day in their lives.

Agreed.  Ugh, that always gets to me.

This is not meant to invalidate the way you deal with your story,
Dante; I just wanted to (finally) share what The Drinking Song means
to me.

Vika Zafrin
vika@ibm.net
Vika_Zafrin@Brown.edu

"You _will_ observe my pouting!"  - ChrisO

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 02:34:05 GMT
From: drea1@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: New fan here, too!! (Dougs)

> But I'm worried now that we have more Dougs that Chads in out midst.
> Maybe someone will have a good suggestion on how to differentiate each of us.

  How about: 'west coast Doug' (Levy), 'out in the middle of nowhere Doug'
(Sheppard) (*ducks* I can say that since I'm in the middle of nowhere too!
;>), and 'new Doug' *evil grin*  (At least the Andreas have the benefit of
nicknames to differentiate us: Andi, Drea, and Andrea ;>) Now, has anyone
ever figured out how to tell all those bloody Chrises apart? :P

   Drea

"I said, 'Hey, flirt with this, I am a certified hardcore *bitch*'" - Jess
Klein "Thunder Bay in *November*?" *wince* - Cal (10/31/98)

End of alt.music.moxy-fruvous digest V1 #975